I was looking around at portable (external) hard drive options for a while.I have 2 laptops and both our vehicles take USB input for music storage. So I wanted an easy way to transfer files between computers, cart my music around in the car, and of course backup important stuff.
I looked at the full-size drives, but they were quite bulky, and most required that you also carry around the power adapter, which is just not a nice option. However, I found that many of the smaller drives were USB powered, so there was only one cable! Now that's portable!
I looked around, and settled on the Western Digital WDXMS2500TN Passport 250 GB USB portable hard drive. It looked good, and at the time it was around $150 USD. It came with a nice little protective case which I have since lost.
After having used this for some time now, here is my review:
- Very small, lighweight, easy to carry around, stores easily in the car
- Looks very nice with the gloss black finish, and the blue LED indicator
- Comes with a nice short USB cable, which is handy if you hate cables bundling up around your computer
- Instantly recognized by my MacBook pro, didn't need to install any software or drivers
- It runs relatively quietly.
- Slow. Since I bought this the USB 2.0 version came out, and I wish I'd waited for that.
- The short cable is a little stiff. So if it's twisted at all the hard drive may sit on an angle if you don't force it otherwise.
Other than that I'm quite happy with it. If you're looking for portable backup and data transfer, I highly recommend that you look at purchasing a portable hard drive.